[Dixielandjazz] Taping performances at jazz society concerts.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 11 14:20:28 PDT 2004

> mensa-1 at webtv.net (william crist) wrote:
>
> As a general rule, taping is not allowed at our concerts.  Many bands
> object , understandable, to taping of these concerts.  They feel that it
> hurts the sale of their CD's.and I agree with them.
> We try to treat all bands fairly and try to abide with their wishes. We
> want them to have a pleasant experience and will want to come back
> again., if the opportunity arises.
> I think that most bands that have played here wiil say that they had a
> good time and an enthusiastic crowd.

List mates

I understand the premise and some band's reluctance to allow taping but heartily disagree with it. IMHO, taping is a help to CD sales and to having people that might otherwise not, "hear" the band. It has been our experience that tapes of live sessions have helped our sales of CDs, just like radio or TV broadcasts of our band help CD sales.

As I see it, the CD buyer universe extends far beyond a few trad fans at a concert and if that tape gets a new band fan somewhere, that is a help to becoming known to regular non-jazz oriented folks.

We have sold numerous CDs all over the world to people who heard us on the radio, saw us on TV and/or  heard a tape made from a jazz concert. And they go to great lengths to find us on google or elsewhere and email us for more info and CDs.

Just an opinion, but I think it is penny wise and pound foolish for a band to get its knockers in a knot because somebody is taping. Naturally it's nice to asked for permission which we always grant, but we'll take the resultant publicity and extra CD sales any way we can get them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone