[Dixielandjazz] Taping performances

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue May 11 20:28:30 PDT 2004

Naturally it's nice to asked for permission which we always grant,
Steve Barbone

We always grant permission, but say our recorded version is going to be
better than the hand held recorded version.  Don't approve of people that
"just do it".  It's only polite to ask.

Same goes for tv crews, who usually sort it out with the club, but not with
the musicians.  Puts you in a bad spot, 'cause the club is interested in the
publicity.  It is usually, in our case, for some short bit on the news, a
sort of "what's on in Madrid" thing.  Usually badly recorded (audio), and
poor angles.  Not really that interesting for the band.  I, again,
appreciate it when someone comes up and actually asks us if we mind.

Do any of you get the people sticking their mobile phones up in front of you
so their friends can hear?  It's a "guess where I am?" thing, I guess.  Once
again, I can't imagine the quality is all that great.

Jim