[Dixielandjazz] "The Tailgate Ramble" lyrics

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue May 11 12:39:57 PDT 2004

At 03:05 AM 5/11/2004 -0400, Charles Suhor wrote:
>This might not be verbatim exact, but it's, er, close enough for jazz.  If
>this isn't right, it will have to do, until the real thing comes along.

Here's the real thang.

Verse:
(When wagons) Meet/ on the   street,/ the/   traffic stops,/   |they have to
Call the cops,/   |you ain't heard   nothin', pops./   |The band that's
Loud/ draws the   crowd/ and/   that ain't all./   |they tag a-
Long/ till they   start the ball/   down at the Eagle's Hall.   When the wagon

Chorus:
Starts,///   put the tailgate   down,///   watch the band pa-
Ade///   all around this   town.////   Give the trombone
Man///   room to move his   slide.///   And we'll sing and]
Play///    'round the country-    side.///   Wasn't long a-
Go///    I was in my   teens///   and we played that
Way///   down in New Or-   leans.///   ///|

Just for the record, so to speak, composer Wingy Manone plays it
differently from the book version, and the Dukes of Dixieland played his
version of the melody.

--Sheik