[Dixielandjazz] Re: "The Tailgate Ramble" lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 12 10:14:22 PDT 2004

Dear Shiek,
Regarding your comment: > Just for the record, so to speak, composer Wingy
Manone plays it differently from the book version........<

Oh dear.
Poor ole Johnny Mercer (a co-founder of Capitol) would be soooooo
disappointed not to get a mention as lyricist/co-composer of "Tailgate
Ramble".
Even if he does stuff up the last bit of his vocal chorus with "Wasn't long
a-Go. Boy/// ahhh, oohh, just the other day///  that they played the same,
in Savannah, GA./// " variation on take -5 of the definitive 7 March 1944
Capitol Wingy Manone version. (Slightly different on take -3, but still a
fumble.)
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS for Dave Gravatt.
Regarding >How do YOU "think" of the chorus? Eight bars? 24 bars? Other?<
I hear two strains of 8 bars = 16 bars for the chorus.
Which is also what my 'fake' book (we call them chord books) gives.