[Dixielandjazz] Naxos CDs [was: Octoroon]

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Wed Mar 31 08:51:55 PST 2004

I can vouch for the quality of Naxos CDs. They are compiled and transferred
by serious collectors/sound engineers. The King Oliver 1923 CD has most of
the good stuff, and the transfers are first class--I have the Retrieval
2-CD set transferred by JRTDavies, which I used for my transcriptions, but
David Lennick's Naxos transfers clarified some cornet notes I was
previously unsure of.

Note that some Naxos items are not available in the USA. There are two
series of interest to us: 1. Jazz Legends 2. Nostalgia. The latter has 2
CDs of Bing Crosby's early records, for example.

Jerry, why don't you post the complete catalog of those 2 series. They are
a terrific way for folks to jump into the music at very small expense.

And if you have a bunch of empty jewel boxes lying around, save on postage
costs by having Jerry send just the CDs and paperwork--those boxes are heavy.

--Sheik