[Dixielandjazz] Octavin

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Mar 28 18:31:36 PST 2004

The subject of Octavins has come up from time to time on the
Contrabass.com list (even though they are not all contrabass
instruments.) There were straight versions that looked more like a
clarinet as well as the folded versions. There is a picture at
<http://www.contrabass.com/2001/PH3.jpg> of two  kinds.  A different
one can be seen at <http://www.whc.net/rjones/octavin.html>

Here is a short bit of info on Octavins from Grant Green, host of the
Contrabass site:
>  The instrument is an octavin, essentially a soprano sax folded in
> half.  According to Langwill's, it was invented in 1893 and attributed
> to Oscar Adler, although actually invented by Julius Jehring.
> Although it is often described as a clarinet folded in half, the
> Jehring entry further notes that it overblows in octaves - like a
> saxophone - instead of in 12ths like a normal clarinet.  The Jehring
> entry further notes "bass octavin" models in G and C....

They get  listed on EBay every once in a while.

Dave Richoux