[Dixielandjazz] Octavin

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:45:43 PST 2004

Scott Robinson was the reed player at this past weekend's Summit Jazz
concert in Denver.  For one song, he played an odd-looking instrument I'd
never heard of before:  an octavin.  Here's a picture of it -- look for
"octavin" on this link.

http://home.comcast.net/~musictreasures/antwood.htm

A very interesting instrument, sounding a little like a soprano sax.  Scott
said the fingering is much like an Albert system clarinet.  I had never seen
or even heard of an "octavin" before.  Does anyone know anything octavins?

"You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backward."
-- James Thurber