[Dixielandjazz] Re: High Notes - World's Best Clarinetist?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 12:20:30 PST 2004

List mates:

I don't think I've ever heard anything higher than Davern's double high D and
wonder if that is what Tony Scott's Web site refers to. Personally, I can't get
above the A, 3 notes below Davern's D. I think Artie Shaw was the one who got
to Double high C & D first, in the late 1930s. I think Eddie Daniels gets up
there too, as does Allan Vache.

Last time I spoke to Davern he was using a Van Doren  #4 reed with a Van Doren
5JB (wide lay) mouthpiece. I use the same mouthpiece, but with a # 2 & 1/2
reed. Not strong enough to make the stiffer reeds sound. I believe Kenny was
the designer of that 5JB and one has to push a lot of air through it. Changes
the way you phrase, and/or forces you to expand your lung capacity. Otherwise,
you run out of air before the idea/phrase is finished.

Damn all those years of smoking, regular or weed. ;-) VBG.

Isn't Scott's web site a treat? I believe his Italian wife designed it. One
could spend several hours with it and be surprised at every click. I first saw
him in the 1950s in NYC and he was tearing up the place with his ideas and his
execution. He is much appreciated in Italy. (and Europe) but not here except
among a small group of reed players and jazz fans.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone