[Dixielandjazz] World's Best Clarinetist?

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Tue Mar 23 10:55:15 PST 2004

Steve Barbone writes on Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:03:43 (snip):

>>For all the clarinetist's on the DJML. For a treat see:

http://www.tonyscott.it/home.htm
<<

What a well-conceived and presented website. Thanks, Steve, for this tip. I
will also thank you or anyone who can elaborate on the following description
of Scott's high range playing contained in the Bio information:

"In his high range he was able to reach 8 notes higher over the highest C on
the clarinet"

Does this exist? I think Goodman peaked at a "double high C" on "Sing, Sing,
Sing". I heard a tape that Dan Levinson has of a memorial service at St.
Peter's in NYC where Kenny Davern reached and sustained a beautiful, very
soft "double high D".

I thought those were limits. Is the above quote saying there is another
octave above what I thought was the altissimo range?

Tom "Wondering What Reed Could Take You That High" Duncan

PS - before any wags jump on it, that is reed with an "r", not a "w"