[Dixielandjazz] World's Best Clarinetist?

Avache1 at aol.com Avache1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 11:05:41 PST 2004

In a message dated 3/23/04 10:57:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tduncan at bellatlantic.net writes:
". I heard a tape that Dan Levinson has of a memorial service at St.
Peter's in NYC where Kenny Davern reached and sustained a beautiful, very
soft "double high D"
At the peak of his career, Kenny Davern could hit an "F" above double high "C"
He showed me the fingerings to those notes, however I really never had the
chops to pull them off. The best I can do is double high "C#", but I think
that's high enough for me. I don't think there are too many of us with that sort of
range.
Artie Shaw, Tony Scott, and Kenny were the masters of the altissimo range,
the rest of us just watch and listen in awe.
Allan Vache'