[Dixielandjazz] Re: Davison & Bix to Ringwald/Petters

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 15 11:06:24 PST 2004

Dear Tom,
It is great to have additional confirmation (from the horse's mouth,
so-to-speak) that Wild Bill Davison is emphatic that he is not on the
Chubb-Steinberg Orchestra Of Cincinnati recording session of 10 April 1924
which produced 4 titles (which I have) including "Horsey Keep Your Tail Up'.
(Apparently Bill was with the band when they made these April Okeh sides in
Cincinnati, but did not make the session.)
I have never been able to accept that it was him, as it is inconsistent with
his work on the Gennett 16 Feb 1925 record (and opening chorus) of "Because
They All Love You".
For interested DJMLers, the Chubb-Steinberg Gennetts (Feb and April 1925)
are currently available on Timeless CD CBC 1-063 'Those Fabulous Gennetts
Vol. 1 1923-1925'.
There are also unissued Gennett titles from July and Oct 1925 (with Wild
Bill) which may one day see the light of day. We can only hope.
Howard Chubb and Eli Steinberg were apparently music shop proprietors who
founded the orch to publicize their business, but did not play in it.
Very kind regards,
Bill.