[Dixielandjazz] Johnny Blowers

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 16:18:16 PST 2004

> "George Thurmond" <gmthur at delrio.com> wrote
>
> I agree - Johnny Blowers is a great drummer, and is still going
> strong.  Check out his April, 2000, pic with the Harlem Blues and Jazz Band
> on page 25 of the Feb. 2004 Mississippi Rag.
>
> BTW, I hear his name is pronounced to rhyme with "flowers", and not
> to rhyme with those snow removal machines.  Correct?

Yes Blowers rhymes with Flowers. Last heard him play 2 years ago at the Pee Wee
Russell Memorial stomp, in New Jersey where he received a lifetime achievement award.
He reprised his Caravan solo from the 1930s. Wonderful, he's still got it. He was
also quite active, 2 years ago, playing jazz for the younger generations in the
schools around NYC

Also heartily recommend the Warren Vasche Sr. book "Back Beats  and  Rim Shots,"
about Blowers early years. It is a wonderful book about a great and often overlooked
drummer. (Blowers played a lot of OKOM). It is available on the web. Google search
for Back Beats & Rim Shots +Blowers.

Please forgive me, Warren, for not mentioning in my earlier post that you and he
played together frequently and that you wrote THE book on him. I always thought of
you as so much younger. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone