[Dixielandjazz] Ira Ironstrings - Alvino Rey

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 15:59:47 PST 2004

> Richard Shook <dixbarn at sprintmail.com> wrote
>
> I recall reading somewhere that Alvino Rey was behind the Ira
> Ironstrings recordings done years ago. Does anyone know if this is true,
> or who else was on those sessions? My father had 2 of those LPs : Ira
> Ironstrings Plays with Matches, and Ira Ironstrings Plays for People
> with $2.98.

Yes, Rey recorded as Ira Ironstrings. Google search for "Ira Ironstrings" and you
will find everything you want to know about him. (And Fred Guckenheimer) ;-)
Rey was under recording contract to another label and so used a pseudonym.

Those Ironstring recordings are priceless. Especially the Christmas album.

Also, someone said Rey told him he went to Spain every year to study with Segovia.
Hmm. Maybe a put on? Rey was pretty much a self taught guitarist/banjoist. He did,
however have a great sense of humor and it would have been just like him to make that
statement with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Cheers,
Steve barbone