[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Pianist Oscar Peterson (a/c Norman Vickers)

Tito Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Tue Jun 22 16:51:00 PDT 2004

Norman Vickers stated correctly:
<<<Listmates:  Oscar Peterson doesn't play OKOM.  However, he is a giant
who
cannot be ignored.  I want to share these thoughts and the NY Times
commentary from yesterday with you.  ..............>>>>

Yes Norman,

 you're right, Peterson don't play OKOM regularly; but I would like to
state firmly that he knows and likes and plays PERFECT OKOM piano,
whenever he wants or is solicited to.

I even think he only can do what he does (marvelously) because he can
play OKOM.

That he can play OKOM style piano I can affirm with assurance because he
played whith my Traditional Jazz Band in May 1972, sporting a rolling
stride piano style that let me stoned petrified gazing at his hands.  He
had to shout to me: -Play, man, play! He was sitting with our Band at
his own demand, as was told to me afterwards by the american consul
which was present at the music club here in São Paulo where that
encounter happened.

Peterson just had started "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" and we
joined with the trumpet of Austin Roberts, trombone of Onofre Cardoso,
bass of Daniel Grisanti, banjo of Reynaldo Mayer, washboard of Sacha
Kliass and my clarinet.    Afterwards we played an impromtu Blues in Bb,
Peterson started it in perfect OKOM style 4/4 beat, playing very
traditional phrases interwoven with his particular runs and
embelishments. .

This fantastic moment in my jazzman career was fortunately recorded in
an amateur taperecorder. It's one of my most cherised memories archives
and a proof that Oscar Peterson could be, whenever he wanted, a stride
pianist in the tradition of Waller, J.P. Johnson, or Lion Smith. No
dispute about it.

My conclusion: all the GREAT and respected "modern Jazz" players are
great in their particular "modern" style because they know how to play
OKOM.

Tito Martino
São Paulo Brazil