[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Pererson

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue Jun 22 19:38:50 PDT 2004

Tito,
I firmly agree with you that Oscar is OKOM or at least MKOM.  He always
swings like hell and you can always hear melody and logical, pleasing
progressions - good enough for me!

As a matter of interest, today I attended a ceremony in downtown Toronto at
which Oscar was honoured by the City of Toronto, with the Mayor and the
usual dignitaries.   He had a "square" named after him.  As the M.C. said
"This is the first time Oscar has been a Square"    He looked old and frail
but managed to rise from his wheel chair, mount the stage and acknowledge
the audience.  One of the grand old men of jazz.  I am quite sure he could
play with any kind of jazz band.  He headlines a concert tomorrow night, to
kick off the Toronto Downtown Jazz Festival.

The Humber College Youth Orchestra performed at the ceremony.  Terrific
band, modern music but a beautiful symphonic sound - six trumpets, four
trombones, four saxes  plus a very good rhythm section with a young Cuban
pianist.   Now, if they could just tear their eyes away from the dots and
project themselves and their music.......

Cheers,
Brian Towers
Canada

http://hotfivejazz@tripod,com (band web sites)