[Dixielandjazz] More On 1st Monterey Dixie Fest

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jun 14 19:26:18 PDT 2004

Hal Smith just told me that in fact, he did not play for the 1968 festival.
He was there only on Sat afternoon for one show.  It was another youth band.

I did hear Hal with the Fink Street Five at the 2nd Clancy Hayes Benefit in
about 1969 which I also played for, @ Earthquake Magoons.

The Fink Street 5 had kids in it such as Dan Barrett tbn, Paul Woltz banjo,
Larry Wright tpt, Bryan Shaw tpt, Bill Mitchell piano & some other really
good musicians.  The quality of that band was not to be believed.

They sounded more like the Lu Watters band than Lu Watters.

They blew Lu, who was there, away.  Also blew Turk away.

But, back to the first Monterey Dixieland Festival in 1968 that I wrote
about a couple of days ago, to refresh, see the message below.

In addition to the musicians already named by me, appearing at the festival
was also Wally Rose, Wingy Manone, Elton Pernell, Barney Biggard, Dick Cary,
Ed Tuti Garland & the
Firehouse 5 Plus 2.

I think both Barbara Dane & Carol Leigh also sang.

I'm sure there were even more which we can't remember.

For original message, see below:

Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 9:43 AM
Subject: Two Monterey Dixieland Festivals Confusion

> Folks,
>
> In 1968, Don Lewis & perhaps one or 2 other people had the idea to
> capitalize on the fact that the Monterey Jazz Festival was such a success,
> by putting on the Monterey Dixieland Festival at the same location as the
> Jazz Festival.
>
> According to Don, research was done to pick out a weekend when the weather
> was expected to be good.  Unfortunately as it turned out, it wasn't good.
> don't remember the rain but do remember how cold it was.
>
> Since the festival went broke, it was never tried again.
>
> Our listmate who was an usher there is correct--It was a hell of a show.
Of