[Dixielandjazz] Monterey Jazz Festival

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 20:19:32 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/11/04 3:54:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> BIG difference in the importance to JAZZ between these two festivals.
> One is a JAZZ Festival while the other is a DIXIELAND festival..:-) VBG.
> Also VERY BIG difference in musician quality, total attendance and
> profits. The JAZZ Festival rules.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Not a question about it, if you limit the genre of Jazz to strictly Dixieland
you are automatically leaving out or snubbing all those potential ticket
buyers who grew up on a different style of music after the Dixieland musicians and
promoters stopped marketing their style of music to new and younger audiences
all over the world.

Youth tends to follow what is hip and happening NOW, just like the
Dixielanders did in their  youthful days whether we like it or not, it is Historical
Musical fact.  It is however a kick in the pants to watch young college kids
DISCOVER NEW MUSIC like Blues, Lindy Hop, Swing, and various other forms of Jazz,
Celtic, Reggae, Bolero, Tango, Salsa, Afro Cuban, African Jazz, and so on and
so on.  They still have open minds and will experiment with various styles,
some of which they like and embrace and some which they just don't like.

One thing is for darned certain, however.  If folks like us don't take them
some Dixieland or Traditional Jazz they might never know it even existed unless
of course the discover Grandpa's old record in the basement or attic someday
and his record player still works.

What a waste of energy and talent of our forefathers of Jazz.   Life is
indeed much more than Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches everyday no matter how
much we personally like it.     If we don't keep going out and sharing it with
others every day, then you can bet the day will come when nobody wants or likes
it, mostly because they never tried or had the opportunity to try it.

The most important personin any Jazz Society is the Public Relations and
press Relations person, to keep the image of the organization and their activities
before the general public and the powers that be in Radio Newspapers,
Television and city and state governments and performing arts organizations etc.  To
encourge thim daily to participate and support live music, especially this
kind of live music before it is all dead.

Do your part:

Kill A DJ today,

  and the next time you try to book a wedding and are told it is cheaper to
book a DJ, tell them you will play for whatever they are paying the DJ,
Surprise! Surprise! you will more than likely find that you just got your band a 2-3
Hundred dollar raise, And a live gig back.

If you meet resistance in using the word Dixieland, in a negotiation, don't
be bullheaded about it, call it Traditional Jazz, Modern Jazz (of it's day) or
even Smooth Jazz, just get and book the gig, then adjust your repertoire to
fit what you booked.  It is not all that difficult for competent professional
musicians, especially those who expect to work and get paid for it.  "Give the
customer what they want" It's their party after all.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins