[Dixielandjazz] Monterey Jazz Festival

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 20:49:46 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/11/04 3:54:34 PM, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
> I am not sure about the Monterey "Dixieland" Festival but believe it
> started in 1980 and is called "Monterey Dixieland". The Spring 2005
> "Monterey Dixieland" is being advertised as the 25th Annual. Louis could
> therefore never have played it, having been dead for just about 33
> years. (July 6, 1971)

Hi:
[I sent this one to Fred the first time instead of to the list.]
The one I referred to where Louis sang that song so movingly that I learned
to love it WAS in 1968. I know I didn't dream it! That was in the spring, right
before my wife and I were married (oops, we're dating ourselves now aren't
we?)!
:-)
Anyway, we got to go for free if we were ushers, so we went.  As I said, in
spite of the rain, everyone performed well (Mr. Ringwald was there too it
seems), but that song (WAWW), which I had previously not appreciated ,"stole the
show."  Armstrong didn't have to give it his all; hell, there were hardly any
people; the few were only sitting on the sides which were covered from the rain
by a roof.  The main seating was open, was rained on, and all the seats were
wet.  It was miserable weather, but he really "punched it out" as a pro should
do.  I'm still impressed (all the way from 1968).
What they told us at the time was they were trying a "Dixieland" festival
since the rock festival had been so popular, and of course their "Jazz Festival"
was already a classic and had been popular for years.   I was very sorry that
this one was not successful, but as history has shown us, a "Dixie" Jazz
festival was started again.   Those who didn't make this one missed a really good
time!!!
Best,
John

John Pappas