[Dixielandjazz] Monterey Jazz Festival

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 19:53:40 PDT 2004

Regarding the start date of the Monterey Jazz Festival.

Perhaps there is some confusion about the Festival. There are two
separate festivals. As Fred Spencer opined THE Monterey JAZZ Festival
started way back when in the 1950s and Louis Armstrong performed there a
time or two. The 2004 Monterey JAZZ Festival, September 2004, is
advertised as the 47th Annual and makes a claim to being the world's
oldest continuous JAZZ festival. That claim may or may not be accurate.
Better historians than I know the answer.

I am not sure about the Monterey "Dixieland" Festival but believe it
started in 1980 and is called "Monterey Dixieland". The Spring 2005
"Monterey Dixieland" is being advertised as the 25th Annual. Louis could
therefore never have played it, having been dead for just about 33
years. (July 6, 1971)

BIG difference in the importance to JAZZ between these two festivals.
One is a JAZZ Festival while the other is a DIXIELAND festival..:-) VBG.
Also VERY BIG difference in musician quality, total attendance and
profits. The JAZZ Festival rules.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone