[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tommy Dorsey or King Oliver

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 8 20:58:46 PDT 2004

Dear Will,
Regarding your comment:  >I disagree with you about the Blind Willie Dunn
session of 30 April 1929.
For me it is not Tommy Dorsey but King Oliver.<
I am afraid that you and I (with Laurie Wright and a few others) will have
to disagree on this one.
I have had the Blind Willie Dunn 78 since the 1940s and, like many others,
was convinced at the time that it was Oliver. Since then I have duplicated
it on several LPs and now on several CDs with transfers by John RT Davies.
In the 1950s, after corresponding with Walt Allen, I then became convinced
that it was not Oliver. Tommy Dorsey became the chief suspect and I still
believe that it is him.
However, Tommy Dorsey expert, Robert L Stockdale, seems uncertain and lists
Dorsey [or] Oliver.
Tommy Dorsey has claimed that it is him. But then I suppose he would!
As Walter C Allen once said in a letter to me: "let us agree to disagree".
Very kind regards,
Bill.