[Dixielandjazz] First position on the trombone

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jun 8 01:02:06 PDT 2004

Stan wrote:
When I was taking my first trombone lessons, my teacher told me that many
players adjust their tuning slides to have first position out from the
closed position for 3 reasons. One was for slide vibrato, another was to
keep the trombone in tune as the temperature changes, and the third was to
avoid a clang when the slide is brought quickly to the first position.

And, I comment:

Oops, Stan.  Did your trombone teacher actually play the trombone?  :>

Seriously, I don't wish to get anyone's backs up, and I'm not the last word
in this sort of thing....but, I'll have to think about it (maybe pay
attention while playing?) to see if I use slide vibrato in 1st. position.  I
kind of doubt it, though.  There are always false positions if one feels he
must use the slide vibrato on a note normally played in first position.

Tuning as the temperature changes....one normally uses the tuning slide for
those adjustments, in spite of "rusty" Bob.  :>

For tuning to other member's problems, that's what thems chops are for.

Clanging in first position?  First of all, there should be a cork at the top
of your slide.  If there isn't, go to the repair shop.  It's a little piece
of cork in the shape of a ring (like the one on your finger).  Secondly, if
you hit the top, then you haven't got much control on your slide.

If 1st is lowered, than all your other positions must be lower.  I know
we're only talking a tiny bit, but a tiny bit flat is flat/or a bit sharp is
sharp!

What do I know about it?  Dunno, only been doing it steadily for 52 yrs now,
25 as a studio session musician.

Jim