[Dixielandjazz] First position on the trombone (was: Murray McEachem)

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Mon Jun 7 15:58:07 PDT 2004

As far as I know, I believe most pros assume 1st position slightly
downstream from closed.  I've heard the vibrato reason, except I believe
most decent players vibrato only to the flat side (i.e., DOWN) because flat
sounds less out of tune than sharp.  I don't intentionally include the sharp
side of the note in my slide vibrato.

The main reason I have my first position slightly south of closed is to
modify flattened intonation - if I (or more likely, the other musicians in
the band ;-)) go flat and need to raise the pitch, where would I go if I
were already fully closed?

I can fiddle with my tuning slide, but it looks hokey to do that in the
middle of a phrase.  In fact, I haven't touched my tuning slide in 4 years
except to occasionally sand the rust off. God has given us the gift of
infinitely variable intonation...why not use it?

- Bob "We're so glad to see you're still playing!" Williams