[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet / Trombone / Reeds

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Jun 4 12:43:35 PDT 2004

I didn't mean that he was primarily a valve bone player -- but only that he
had taken mine at a Sons of Bix gig so that I would have the opportunity to
play a chorus on Bix's cornet as he had just done. He was on this gig as
cornetist, but he is a prime slide player first and foremost. I first met
him with the Cullum band 25 years ago -- just a college kid in age. And he
was a monster on bone with that band. On cornet he is right up there with
the best of the Bix-oriented players of  today, including Pletcher, Sanke,
others. I think he is one of the most versitile players of today -- and
lyrically inventive.
That he played my valve trombone so damn well was humbling! Drat that 'kid,'
anyway -- making a old man cry!!<G>
Don Ingle -- also a prime time cornetist.