[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet / Trombone / Reeds

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 3 16:22:48 PDT 2004

Don Ingle mentioned Randy Reinhardt as one who excels on Cornet & Valve
Trombone. Not only that but slide trombone, clarinet and Sop Sax.
Sometimes one right after the other on a tune.

Several years ago, I was in the front line of a Keystone Jazz Group club
date with Pete Pepke (trombone) and Randy. At a break we were discussing
Randy's ability to play all 3 instruments. Next set in Yellow Dog Blues,
Pete proffered his Trombone after Randy's cornet solo. Randy took it and
blew a very fine Bone solo. Then, I proffered my Clarinet, Randy took it
and blew a very fine Clarinet solo.

I don't know about Pete's mouthpiece, but mine was a Van Doren 5JB,
(very wide lay) which Kenny Davern designed and uses. It is not easy to
blow because you expend a lot of air and so you run out before your
ideas are finished if you are not using one all the time. He handled it
beautifully after the first 4 bars and later asked what the hell I was
using as a mouthpiece.

I've seen him do the same thing with Sop Sax and play beautiful duets
with the late Bobby (Lips) Levine who would bring his Tenor and 2 sop
saxes to gigs that Randy was on. Those of you who know, or have heard
Randy know he is one of the finest OKOMers around these days. And the
girls just gush over those electric blue eyes.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone