[Dixielandjazz] RE Musicians doubling on trumpet and trombone

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Jun 3 16:44:44 PDT 2004

Listmates:  several of you have mentioned Australian brassman James
Morrison's ability to perform expertly on trumpet and trombone. I had the
pleasure of seeing him once at Dick Gibson's Colorado Jazz Party, probably
about 1990. Dick's parties were closed down a couple of years later, after
30 consecutive years.  Dick died a few years later.  The unusual aspect of
this, in addition to Morrison's marvelous musical manipulations ( how's that
for alliteration?) was to watch trombonist par exellence Bill Watrous in the
audience.  Whereas most musicians don't spend a lot of time in the audience
digging the performance of other musicians, Watrous watched all Morrison's
sets.  That year, in addition to his excellent trombone work, Watrous
whistled and sang on his own sets! I leave the interpretation to you.

I belive Mr Wonderful, Bob Ringwald mentioned Dan Barrett's ability to play
trumpet and trombone equally well.  Dan's a better than average pianist,
too.  Bob, did you be singin' and whistlin' on your sets?

Norman--I'm amazed at what these brassmen can do-- Vickers