[Dixielandjazz] Murray McEachern

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Thu Jun 3 18:48:22 PDT 2004

I had a sale contract on my house, and I was getting ready to leave
California, when I got a call to play with Murray.  I told him I could do
two weeks, which would give him time to find someone steady.
   He is/was a very talented and versatile musician.  He played vibes, alto
sax, and valve trombone.  He played slide only rarely...he seemed to prefer
the valve horn.
I thoroughly enjoyed the two weeks.
       He had lots of stories from the Casa Loma band.  He was the one who
told me about the bone section who played with the tuning slides all the way
in so they could use a slide vibrato in first position.
      Pat Cooke