[Dixielandjazz] Murray McEachern

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Jun 3 16:09:44 PDT 2004

Somewhere in my old LP stacks is Murray's "Music for Sleepwalkers." He was
the whole band -- multi-tracked it all -- he played a whole sax section, a
trombone section, and most of the rhythm section.
He was so in demand for studio and recording sessions that he didn't bother
to put his horns -- saxes and trombone -  into cases. My dad was on several
gigs with him and rode with him to some calls, and he explained that he had
as many as four to five session calls a day, and had to run from one studio
to another so it was easier to just layer them on a pile of blankets - run
in to see what he needed, grab the right horns, do the gig, then put them
back in and run to the next one. My dad, who'd seen most everything in the
business, never got over it. By the way -- the LP music was terrific.
Don Ingle