FW: [Dixielandjazz] jam session in Calif.

BSimp57584 at aol.com BSimp57584 at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 13:20:49 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/3/2004 12:55:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, kash at ran.es
writes:

> Followed by Bob's answer:
> >That was a great report, Jim. The Bill Simmons on piano was actually me,
> Bob Simpson. You're forgiven

Hey Jim, mental lapses are pretty commonplace with our aged group, but with
you, a generation younger, it has to be jetlag.
     The group, starting with Jim Shelton, the trombone player that you
praised, was Don Rose - trumpet, Chuck Kelley - trombone, Jack Widmark - reeds, Jim
Matheson - string bass/bass sax, Pete Kier - bass, Jim Jones - banjo, Brian
Bowlby - drums, and me. Many others were drained off by the Sacramento
Festival.
     We, in the Southern California area, have jazz clubs every Sunday with
the exception of the months having 5 Sundays. So I provide a venue and we jam.
Works great.
     Your presence was the frosting on our cake. I know your father and son
enjoyed the afternoon.
    I also make up bands for the 6 one-day cruises out of San Pedro,
California,  aboard the SS Lane Victory. It is a fully restored WWII cargo ship, but
that's a story for another time.
     Again, Jim. Great meeting and playing with you.

Bob Simpson
Yellow Houn Dawg Jazz Band