[Dixielandjazz] Odd e-mail messages . . . not OKOM but I may not be alone with this problem

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Thu Jun 3 12:55:16 PDT 2004

Was that odd message by any chance formatted as HTML? If it was, then
congratulations! You've just provided a spammer with a verified email
address.

If you have the option to do so, disable image loading in your email
client's preview window. That way, HTML-formatted messages can't "phone
home" to load image files, thereby recording data about you address on the
sending server.

The randomly-selected text is there to fool spam filters. Those bastards are
getting bloody clever, and we just have to stay ahead of 'em. At least we
can take comfort from the fact that they are starting to prosecute some of
them.

Paul Edgerton