[Dixielandjazz] JazzBeat mag-tribute to early jazz players

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Jun 3 14:02:28 PDT 2004

Hey, DJMLers--

If you get George Buck's JAZZ BEAT mag, check the current issue (pp. 25-25)
for "Remembering Right," my poem/tribute to first generation jazz players
who migrated from the Thibodaux, La., area to become part of the beginnings
of jazz in New Orleans. It was originally written as a performance piece
for a Jazz & Poetry Connection program at Nicholls State U.'s annual
Jubille festival.

The same issue (pp. 8-10) tells of the Tom Bethell's 60s Kid Thomas session
San Jacinto Hall, quoting Butch Thompson (who plays clarinet on the
session) at length. I don't have that one but I have an earlier excellent
Thomas session with Raymond Burke, Sammy Penn, & others. Big thanks to
Paige Van Vorst for all of this.

Charlie Suhor