[Dixielandjazz] Concerts in the Park was Things that make me cringe

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Jul 28 14:51:01 PDT 2004

In a message dated 7/28/04 2:31:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> That's why EVERY Dixieland band should be doing "Concerts In the Park".
> There is a VAST, UNTAPPED AUDIENCE out there worldwide that is waiting
> for us and good music. Better still, there are thousands of Park
> Concerts that most of us simply ignore as venues.
>
> Let's all start to play where the people are.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Absolutely agree:  if you can't find a -paid gig there, go meet with the
Parks and recreation department and sell them on the idea of letting you do weekly
concerts there and sell your CDs.   Your biggest opposition will be they
don't want the liability of having anybody inthe park.   Back to the old over
Insurance discussion again.   Somebody might get stung by a bee and sue the parks
department and the city. :(    The world is run by Pessimist, time to change
it again to Optimist.

They all have printed publications that they can promote you in and you can
even get them and distribute them yourself, which will get you much better
results than letting them distribute them,   They are usually nbot very good at
marketing and promotion which is why most parks are sitting empty from littel or
no use these days.

They do not understand that just pretty green lawns and an empty bandstand
and shade trees will not attract people to enjoy the park your taxes are paying
their salaries to cut the grass and prune the trees and paint the bandstand
every ten years or so for.

Musicians and band leaders have to constantly be creative thinking people and
go sell your music or market it yourself or be unfulfilled and unsatisfied
with your present day gig.

A musicians best day gig is booking and promoting his night gig, and if he
does it hard enough he can have two gigs a day in many places maybe even three
gigs a day for those that really hustle and want to work just playing music.

Naw that would not be fun, it would be more like a real job and work. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins