[Dixielandjazz] Scored solos

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Wed Jul 28 07:57:29 PDT 2004

At 05:21 PM 7/26/2004 +0100, John Farrell wrote:
>Fred Spencer said (re Illinois Jacquet's "Flying Home" solo) :
>"made him famous in the Hamp recording which, like it or not, changed the
>whole face of jazz.Several bands played that solo scored for the whole sax
>section. The only other one I know is Bunny Berigan's solo on Tommy Dorsey's
>"Marie". Any more?"

Fletcher Henderson arranged a multi-horn version of Bix's solo on "Singin'
the blues" for a 1930s record.

>There is (was?) an American saxophone group - Supersax - which plays Charlie
>Parker solos scored for five saxes. I've seen a few of their scary looking
>charts and still marvel at how beautifully the music works despite its high
>complexity.

IIRC, one of Jim Jones' chart catalogs has some multi trumpet charts by
John Fahey (?) of classic trad tunes.

>I have an 1975 LP (Atlantic SD 1671) of a big band led by Dick Hyman
>"Satchmo Remembered - The music of Louis Armstrong at Carnegie Hall" , one
>of the tracks is the well known Armstrong/Hines version of "Weatherbird"
>scored for three trumpets. Great stuff, high time that it was reissued on
>CD.

Hyman also organized similar concerts of James P. Johnson and Jelly Roll
Morton. "Jelly & James: music of Jelly Roll Morton & James P. Johnson" SONY
MDK 52552.
has most of the tunes that were on the 2 LPs.

--Sheik