[Dixielandjazz] Things that make me cringe

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 09:00:26 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Regarding Armstrong imitations, Ron L. wrote:

>Unfortunately, "general" audiences love it.   They are the ones for whom
>many of us play/sing during the "concert in the park" type gig.

General audiences really loved the old Roman Games too . . . but even they
finally came to an end.

I was talking to a guy a couple lf years ago and mentioned that I disliked
Louis impressions. This guy led a band where one of his sidemen actually did
a Louis bit on virtually every performanvce.  He told me that in his band's
case it was different because it was always done with great sensitivity and
with the greatest respect.

I said "That's wonderful" and let it rest.

Cheers,

Bill "The world is an amazing place full of strange and wondrous things"
Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com