[Dixielandjazz] Re: No Rhythm Front Line

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Tue Jul 27 17:09:18 PDT 2004

Dear Bill & DJMLers,

YOU GOT MY VOTE, I AGREE WITH YOU BILL.  I think I commented on this once
before saying that to produce our Live Performance CDs we regularly had to
spend time cutting out band vocal choruses which also luckily brought the
number length down to a manageable 5 minutes because of the dancers needing
longer exercise time.  I forget who told me but a record producer said once,
"why is it that band members (usually the leader) in jazz groups with no
formal training feel obliged to sing?, I usually don't select it for a
recording".  At least when the audience request the Saints or similar in our
group and the front line goes walkabout to the end of a large hall we all
still manage to have the same time when they return to the stand.  Our band
has two front line singers and also calls on many REAL guest vocalists.

Tom (can't sing, rhythm player) Wood