[Dixielandjazz] Re: No Rhythm Front Line

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jul 27 16:38:34 PDT 2004

Wow!  Sounds like a bit of "back line agro" here from Bill Haesler!!
Don't be so hard on us frontliners, Bill.  Some of us can actually make that
"horns only" chorus swing, but of course, it's the re-entry of the whole
band that gets the people out of their seats.  It's the dynamics between the
two choruses that makes it all happen.

We can't do without you folks, and (mostly) you can't do without us.  And,
the audience does enjoy the words to a song.  Obviously it helps if the
singer has a good voice, but phrasing is just as important.

I don't really think a band should be a battle between the front & back.
And, if someone doesn't like a singer, he should look for a non-vocal band.
Of course, you might find you work less..........

Jim

-----Original Message-----(from Bill)

Australian frontlines, from the best to the worst, have been doing this
unnecessary 'cappela thing' for at least 50 years and I have always HATED
it.  Why? Because, from the best to the worst, I have yet to hear it pulled
off
effectively.