[Dixielandjazz] A capella front-line

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Tue Jul 27 10:48:30 PDT 2004

Dan, many bands do play "Acapulco" choruses from time to time and it is a
very effective change of texture, like any other subunit of the full
ensemble.

Brian says rhythm-out playing makes us appreciate the rhythm section more,
and I suppose that's true. But the truth is that a fine front line builds on
the groove set up by the rhythm section. If the rhythm section can't get it
together, then nothing the horns can do will make things better. A great
rhythm section can lift up a mediocre horn section. When the rhythm section
cooks, the band cooks.

What I'm saying is that horn players LOVE good rhythm sections. The quickest
way to improve a band is to beef up the rhythm section. That said, a great
musician on ANY instrument can be the spark that really gets the others
going.

Paul Edgerton