[Dixielandjazz] Monterey Info Needed

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 11:23:32 PDT 2004

In the process of writing an article for publication, I need some help
from list mates who are familiar with that first abortive Dixieland Jazz
Festival at Monterey. Not the current one, but the one that failed about
30 or 35 years ago. Bob Ringwald performed there I believe, along with
Louis Armstrong and some other heavy hitters.

What I need to know is:

1) Who were the performers, or most of them.
2) What was the date of the Festival
3) Roughly how many people attended.
4) Suggestions as to why it failed to get off the ground then.

Would appreciate any and all help. Please write me off list.

Thanks,
Steve Barbone