FW: [Dixielandjazz] A capella front-line

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jul 27 01:26:03 PDT 2004

Dan asked:
It would be a shame to let this most evident of improvised
counterpoint slip away. Does anyone's band on
DJML still do this?

We do, in the Canal Street Jazz Band.  Next to the last chorus of Tiger Rag
is carried off in this manner.  We have no trouble keeping going without
"those guys in the back"!, but then we've been playing together for more
than 30 yrs.  Now adays, we do it with just the trumpet & 'bone, as our sop
sax retired.  Still works fine.  Lots of bouncy notes are required, as
mentioned earlier, and some long sustained notes by at least one of the
players.

Jim