[Dixielandjazz] A capella front-line

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue Jul 27 08:50:53 PDT 2004

Dan,

Good point and I am a firm believer in this. I must remember to have my
group do it more often.  Every band should try to do it now and then for a
chorus - two,three pieces even just one..  It is a true test of a band's
counterpoint, polyphonic abilities, feel for the beat, the spirit and the
individual's grasp of the chord structure.  If the instruments are efficient
in their OKOM role, it will sound just super.  When when the rest of the
band comes back in - wow, it really takes off!
 (On the other hand, if the front line instruments are not up to it, it will
sound like a dog's breakfast and  should be avoided as a device!).
I like to do it also when I am doing a number with a guest trombonist - both
taking turns to take the melody line and then the counterpoint - great fun.
The device also makes the front-liners more appreciative of the back-liners
(rhythm section) too!

Brian Towers
(aspiring trombonist)
http://hotfivejazz@tripod,com (band web sites)