[Dixielandjazz] A capella front-line (and vocals)

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Wed Jul 28 03:39:47 PDT 2004

Greetings. I'll chime in with the majority and say that we do this too. It's
a lot of fun and is quite exciting. We call it "horns only" and stole it
from, I think, the Riverboat Five or somebody like that. There have been a
lot of good bands do it. Good horn players can pull it off. (Sorry to
disagree with Bill Haesler.) We'll do it only on next-to-the-last choruses
of up tempo tunes which really gives a push to that shout chorus.

To Mike Woitowicz: We were at the Bix Fest too. Could it have been us you
heard do "horns only". We did it maybe twice in our eight sets.

On the subject of band members singing, I thought it was fairly obvious and
well-known that the appeal of band vocalists is not their vocal ability but
the joy that is projected when they "sing". It is, of course, a fact that
you don't have to be a good singer to appeal to a lot of people. (Just turn
on the radio for proof.) People generally respond to the energy in a voice,
not the virtuosity. And, by the way, we have four "singers" in our group but
will normally do only two or three vocals in a set, if that. Face it, the
masses respond to a vocal far more readily than to an instrumental. None of
us (in our group) are "good" but we all get a good response because it's
obvious we're having fun.

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"