[Dixielandjazz] Scored solos

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Mon Jul 26 09:21:41 PDT 2004

Fred Spencer said (re Illinois Jacquet's "Flying Home" solo) :

"made him famous in the Hamp recording which, like it or not, changed the
whole face of jazz.Several bands played that solo scored for the whole sax
section. The only other one I know is Bunny Berigan's solo on Tommy Dorsey's
"Marie". Any more?"

There is (was?) an American saxophone group - Supersax - which plays Charlie
Parker solos scored for five saxes. I've seen a few of their scary looking
charts and still marvel at how beautifully the music works despite its high
complexity.

I have an 1975 LP (Atlantic SD 1671) of a big band led by Dick Hyman
"Satchmo Remembered - The music of Louis Armstrong at Carnegie Hall" , one
of the tracks is the well known Armstrong/Hines version of "Weatherbird"
scored for three trumpets. Great stuff, high time that it was reissued on
CD.

John Farrell