[Dixielandjazz] Re: Illinois Jacquet Obit

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jul 26 09:05:20 PDT 2004

Fred, et al:
   When a high schooler of about 16 (1947), two high school big band fellows
and I took the Red car and went to Hollywood, over the pass from No.
Hollywood, to catch Illinois Jacquet who was playing with a small combo in a
hole-in-the-wall bar on Hollywood Blvd. -- Royal Room or Streets of Paris or
some such. But alas, never got to hear him in person since at that age we
were not allowed into the bar without an adult with us. So our trip was a
bust. But I have enjoyed his recordings over the years. At that age, as a
mentoree of Red Nichols and Matty Matlock (for arranging) I was heavy into
the "other" west coast style (Chicago West with N.O. touches.) Illinois at
that time was pretty heavy into Bop, not my cup of root beer at the time.
Still, I enjoyed many of his recordings, since when he wanted to just play
nice, open horn, non-honking tenor, he could be as pretty on the ears and
Coleman, the Pres, or my all time tenor fav (aside from my dad) Uncle Eddie
Miller.
He made his mark for sure, and while always sad to see more of the "elders
of the tribe" pass, we are so lucky to have lived in an age when recording
leaves us a lasting legacy and a chance to hear them anew if by electronic
proxy.
   Don (no spring chicken either) Ingle