[Dixielandjazz] Solos - was bass solos

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Jul 24 05:30:14 PDT 2004

That's the point-- there are so  ones, past and present, to be able to name
them all. Vince is certainly one to add. His bass sax work is also tops, as
is Russ Whiteman, John Otto and a few others with the big sax on steroids.
You have to take the time to dig out the sides then listen if you are not
blessed with live appearences near you. But when the good ones play, solo or
not, it remains a joy to feel their presence in the rhythm section. Some
people dismiss bassists all too quickly before their ears catch up with
their utterences. There -- another rant.
Ask good pianists if they'd rather work with or without a bass. That would
usually end that arugment.
Don Ingle