[Dixielandjazz] Solos - was bass solos

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Fri Jul 23 18:43:57 PDT 2004

On 23 Jul 2004 at 17:42, Don Ingle wrote:

> Steve's list was a great one. I had the rare and delightful opportunity to
> play a set at the Elkhart Jazz Festival some years back with Jack Lesberg on
> bass. A joyful lift of the spirit. At the same festival on a different set,
> I played with my "hero" among pianists, Ralph Sutton. It was almost as good
> as sex (almost!). I even got to sing my favorite James P. Johnson sogn with
> Ralph
> backing me and by the gracve of a good friend with a digital recorder, I
> have it on tape.
> Jim Beebe, Kim Cuscak and Wayne Jones also on the set. It is like a mortal
> invited to
> sit with the gods.

<SNIP!>

I am surpised that the name, and the work, of Vince Giordano has
not been brought to this thread.  I saw him and a talented group of
other NYC musos perform this Spring here on Cape Cod in a "Tribute
to Bix" -- the band was outstanding, as was Vince on both string
and blown bass.

Larry Swain