[Dixielandjazz] Solos - was bass solos

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at cox.net
Fri Jul 23 16:47:38 PDT 2004

Hey Stephen,
   I love your posts -- and especially the Times articles that you
forward -- but I'm just curious -- do you ever go to any trad jazz
festivals? Maybe there are a few like what you said -- but some of them
really feature All-Stars -- the Sacramento Jazz Festival's Red Lion Inn
comes to mind (hearing Tommy Saunders' solo on Black Coffee at 1:00 AM was
breathtaking) -- the Mid-West All-Stars, the East Coast All Stars -- they're
all fabulous musicians. Also, the Sweet & Hot Jazz Festival features more
AllStars than it does bands!
    And several of the guys on your list (the ones who are still alive
anyway) can usually be found at Sweet & Hot or Sacramento -- Ken Peplowski,
Dan Barrett, Dan Levinson, Tommy Saunders, etc., etc. -- and it's a real
treat to hear them LIVE!
Jeanne Brei
Las Vegas, NV