[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in the sticks

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 23 20:58:36 PDT 2004

Folks--
     Here in the USA dixieland-outback, a few of
us had a fine ol' time tonight. Wasn't anywhere
near as good as i imagine you in California and
New York could have any night you want, but it
was fun for us.  But what do we know.
     The only dixieland band playing anywhere in
central Texas within the past week was the group
in Austin called the Chaparral Dixielanders, and
they played at the Carousel Lounge in Austin from
7 to 9 pm tonight.  Played for free (well, maybe
a couple of bucks tips).  Sorry if you're
offended by that, but they are just starting out.
     They played two sets.  First set featured
some old warhorses like Wabash Blues and St.
James Infirmary.  The Carousel Lounge is a dinky
old bar near where the old airport used to be, a
couple miles north of downtown, and there were
only about 10 people in the audience, mostly
neighborhood folks by the looks of them.  The
solos were pretty variable in quality, but we all
enjoyed them anyway, because we know and like the
guys in the band, and they're doing their best.
Three or four people usually remembered to
applaud after each solo.
     More people came in toward the end of the
second set, waiting for the next band coming on
at 9 pm, and mostly young folks.  Most people in
the bar largely ignored the band, but the band
didn't much care, and we band-followers didn't
mind much either.  It was the music we like, and
it's hard to find this kind of music live
anywhere nowadays.
     The next dixieland concert in central Texas
is at a local bar on August 1st, featuring the
Alamo City Jazz Band band from San Antonio, who
have been playing in central Texas part-time
since the 1960's.  They've had Harold Cooper on
clarinet (who used to play with the original
Dukes of Dixieland) and Dick Remington on tuba
(who used to play with the Boll Weevil Jass Band).
     I know this ain't much in comparison with
California and New York, but it's all that's
available.  Of course, most of us around here
have heard all the great dixieland bands and
soloists of the past on recordings, but none of
us is as good as they or you guys in the big
cities are.  It wasn't high art, but we were
entertained (but i guess big-city folks wouldn't
be).
     I imagine that most of the out of the way
places in the USA are pretty much like we are
here in Austin with regard to hearing live
dixieland, which is not much.  We like it and go
hear it when we can, but it's just not available
usually.  We do what we can.
     Keep up the good work elsewhere.

     Dan