[Dixielandjazz] Re: insurance

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jul 11 17:37:33 PDT 2004

>From: "Richard Stevens" <thejazzfactory at ozemail.com.au>
>To: "Djml" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
>Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:01:29 +1000
>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] insurance
>
>Hi All,
>A few years ago I walked into a ceiling fan with my sousaphone. I am a lot
>wiser now but the incident resulted in a blade from the fan breaking off and
>spun into a patrons lap. No damage done but it could have been a lot worse.
>I now have public liability insurance and insist all band members carry
>same. It costs $140 per year each and in my opinion money well spent. We get
>lots of gigs where it is demanded by the venue. In this day and age of
>litigation it offers peace of mind. Ask yourself this question? Where would
>the money come from if some one tripped over an errant wire, broke their leg
>and sued you? I guess if you have no assets then you don't need it!
>
>regards,
>Richard Stevens
>www.thejazzfactory.net
**-------------------------------------------------------------------------**
     Hey!  Down here!  Yes, AFTER the message! (Whew...)
     What about putting the shoe on the other foot?  What if your
sousaphone (unlikely enough) sustained major life-threatening
injuries from the fan (circular rotating, not square folding-chair
sitting)?
     Your point is a good one, and i think insurance is a good option.
But are musical venues required to (or should they) carry insurance
also for injury to persons or instruments?  Is it gig- (and/or
alcohol-) induced folly to contemplate such an eventuality?

     Dan

(whose sousaphones take their own chances)