[Dixielandjazz] Re: The worm turns - at long last

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 10 20:15:06 PDT 2004

Dear friends,
Larry's reply about ordering a CD of a classical string performance he had
just attended once again raises a question in my mind.
As I also wondered when DJMLers Tom Wood and Jack Wiard told me about the
Dresden jazz concert CD.
Are the CDs 'burnt' on-the-spot in a backroom or are they 'commercially'
manufactured off site?
Backroom 'burning' is now possible and I have seen ads locally for
multiple-CD burners.
The 2004 Dresden jazz concert CD, which I have courtesy of Jack Wiard, seems
visually to be a 'commercial' product and was available within 12 hours.
Their professionally designed single page insert and label appear to have
been pre-prepared. The CD case back insert ditto, with the track and band
information overprinted during the night-time production period.
Notwithstanding Tom Wiggins' scepticism, I do not think that the greedy 'big
boys' could match the efficiency and cost factors of the small-profit,
small-time enthusiasts, even if they wanted to.
For the moment, it seems to be a win-win situation for the artists and/or
the concert organisers.
Very kind regards,
Bill.