[Dixielandjazz] Magic Moment

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 3 12:18:42 PDT 2004

Had a magic moment at a gig tonight >>

Hi Steve,
reminds me of the time, many years ago, when my friend Bill and I were in
New Orleans.
We were having a quiet beer on Bourbon Street and the band, with the
exception of the piano player, were taking a break. Bill wandered over to
the pianist and asked if he knew a particular blues. `Don`t think so` said
the pianist `How does it go`
`Its an old Bessie Smith number` said Bill `and it goes....` and started to
sing it. `Oh, this one` said the piano player and began to play.
At that point the guitar player came back on stage and picked up the song,
then the bass player and one by one, the band came back and began to play.
Bill had a good voice and we had worked round the pubs a bit with two
guitars, and he was pushed up to the mic.and the whole thing took off.
The band took their breaks and cue`d Bill back in for the last chorus and
the number ended to thunderous applause to the crowd which the performance
had pulled in off the street.
The leader took the mic, thanked Bill and said `Here we are in New Orleans
and we have to have a bloody Limey come here to show us how to sing the
blues`.

`It was was like a bad B movie` `said Bill afterwards `Every body wandering
on stage and picking up the tune. It would never happen in real life`.

Bill and I are now 75 and 77 respectively but  I think that singing the
blues on Bourbon Street was the high point  of Bills life.

Cheers

Pat

---