[Dixielandjazz] Magic Moment

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 2 00:52:23 PDT 2004

Had a magic moment at a gig tonight in West Chester PA. We were on Gay
Street for "Swinging Thursday Nights Out". 4 blocks shut down for a
summertime stroll for all ages. Lots of kids, we had the full Dixieland
Band there.

Saw some young girls who had sung with us a time or two and invited each
to do a number. Then, an 80 year old man came up to sing "Where or When"
(if we knew it, ha, of course we know it) Then back to Dixieland and
telling the large crowd how much we enjoy working with kids and old men
etc.. Then break time.

I'm turned around, sitting on my stool, chatting with guitarist as he is
getting ready to unplug and I feel a tap on my leg. Look around it is a
very small girl, 4 or 5, no parent visible. She says are you the
director of music for this band? (after I leaned over had her repeat it
a few times so I could understand her)

Yes say I.

Could you have them play Raindrops and Roses?

Hmmm, I don't think I know that. How does it go?

She sings: "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens" etc., in a very
clear, melodic voice and I now realize she is singing "My Favorite
Things". Guitar hears it also and starts to back her, still plugged in.
Everyone else was off the stand, but bass player comes back and plays
along as she sings it strongly. I get microphone and hand it to her and
she sings the entire song, clearly and the audience is enthralled.
Drummer comes back on stand and we then do an instrumental chorus,
before I cue her to sing it again.

Well, we loved it, the audience gave her a huge round of cheers, and
whistles. Her parents then came over and thanked us. They said she asked
them if she could sing with the band like those other people and they
said, why not go up and ask. So she did. Never sang in public before,
but she did a pretty good job.

A magic moment.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone